Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Patagonia

Torres de Paine

When I tell people I'm going to Patagonia, most have heard of it but they're not quite sure what is there.  Well, this picture says it all I think.  This, and much more, is what I hope to see.

This is a solo hiking trip.  Just me and my backpack.







I'll be flying into Punta Arenas, Chile and the plan is to catch a bus from the airport to Puerto Natales, the gateway town to Torres de Paine.  I'll spend two nights there at Kau Lodge, recommended by Lonely Planet and promised to be the best place for an espresso, my morning comfort food.

On March 26, I'll catch a bus to Torres de Paine to begin my 6-day hike along the W circuit, starting at Refugio Torre Central. I'll be off-grid re wifi but will be staying in refugios for which I've already reserved.

Refugios:                                                    
Torre Central: 26, 27 March                 
Los Cuernos: 28 March                          
Paine Grande: 29 March
Grey Shelter: 30 March






And this is all I have booked.  The following is a loose guide to allow for flexibility.

Glacier Perito Moreno in Parque National Los Glaciares (southern section) , near El Calafate, Argentina. 1 or 2 days here.

Fitz Roy Range in Parque National Los Glaciares (northern section), near El Chalten, Argentina.
How many days?  Not sure. But this area is the trekking capital of Argentina and I'll stay as long as my legs hold out.

Bariloche will be my final destination.  A challenge to get to but it's along the shoreline of Lago Nahuel Huapi and "has one of the most gorgeous settings imaginable", according to Lonely Planet.  It's also known as Argentina's chocolate capital.

I'm hoping three weeks will be enough for this trip but if not, I'm sure what I will experience will be pretty darn spectacular.  And as I get closer to take off, my excitement is building.  This is going to be an amazing trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment